Eco Graffiti

Eco Graffiti 1

Summary

Working in partnership with local printmaker Nadia Murphy, Eco Graffiti was a twist to the normal graffiti concept that engaged six students from Mountain Heights District School with the creative process.

The project was originally based around the concept of ‘moss graffiti’, the creation of a mossy liquid recipe that is applied to damp surfaces and over time grows as moss in the designated shape. However after months of testing the moss did not satisfactorily grow—even in Queenstown! The project was reshaped into ‘eco graffiti’ and saw graffiti messages being removed from existing moss around the Queenstown town centre. Words relating to the local mining industry in 1912 that were unknown to West Coast youth—such as 'winze', 'stope', 'sparkle' 'tool nipper' and 'mullock'—were explored, with creative freedom in how these words were interpreted and applied to mossy surfaces by the students.

Eco Graffiti was supported by the Regional Arts Fund through Tasmanian Regional Arts.

Images

Eco Graffiti 2 Eco Graffiti 3 Eco Graffiti 5

Festival venues

  • Town Centre, corner Orr and McNamara St
  • Crib Lane, Little Orr St
  • The Paragon Theatre, 11 McNamara St
  • 20 Orr St
  • Queenstown Medical Union, 25 Cutten St
  • CWA Hall, 35 Cutten St
  • Cutten St Playground
  • West Coast Wilderness Railway and Tracks Cafe
  • Q Bank Gallery, 37 Orr St
  • QBar, 33 Orr St
  • Old Larq Gallery, 8 Hunter St
  • Old Evans Store, 24 Stitcht St
  • Galley Museum, 1/7 Driffield St
  • Scout Hall, 15 Bowes St
  • Queen River Footbridge
  • Passion Park, on The Esplanade
  • Penghana House, 32 Esplanade
  • Old Limestone Quarry, 9 Penghana Rd
  • Football Ground